Over 100 years ago, Dr. Maria Montessori used her genius intuition to create a method of child instruction where the child learns using as many of his/her senses as possible. It wasn't until modern times that science has had the tools to evaluate her method and it has found: the method works!
- Scientific American:
"Students Prosper with Montessori Method"--September 29, 2006
- Huffington Post:
"Montessori: The Missing Voice in the Education Reform Debate"-- January 27, 2012
- Psychology Today:
"Montessori Had It Right: We Learn By Doing"-- April 24, 2013
Forbes: The Future of Education Was Invented in 1906 | January 22, 2014 | Pascal-Emmanuel Gobry:
"The reason why everything is the way it is in a proper Montessori classroom is simple: it has been shown through repeated experiment to work, in countless classrooms, across cultures, etc...the most recent science backs up Dr Montessori's findings--as well they should since they were drawn from experiment...The future of education is here. It's got nothing to do with laptops. It was invented well over a century ago. What are we waiting for?"
- Dr. Maria Montessori started her first school over 100 years ago.
- ...where the child learns using as many of his/her senses as possible
- Her genius intuition helped her create a method of child instruction
- It wasn't until modern times that science has had the tools...
- ...to evaluate her method and it has found: the method works!
- This method teaches children HOW to learn - a skill they will use for a lifetime.
100+ Years of Education
Current research indicates that a child can learn naturally and happily as part of his/her normal growth. Directors and staff are sensitive to the fact that each child is a unique individual with different needs and aptitudes and each child progresses at different rates.
All early learning takes place initially through the senses. Given a prepared environment, the child will choose, from the varied and rich stimuli present, the tools necessary for his/her own natural growth. By working with the concrete Montessori materials and solving specific problems the child will reach comprehension.
The Montessori environment is a positive, stimulating, and enriching environment for children of all ages, all cultural backgrounds, all capabilities and/or gifts. The work process involves attaining skills, refining tasks, developing sensitivities, strengthening concentration, solving problems, and achieving new insights. The goal is to become happy and useful members of society; to achieve the ability to cope" and to "adapt" well, and to gain competence to function in the real world.
Parents are a vital part of our program and are encouraged to be actively involved in parent education and the various committees at the school.
Famous Montessori Graduates
- Joshua Bell: American violinist
- Jeff Bezos: Founder of Amazon.com
- David Blaine: American magician, illusionist and endurance artist
- Dr. T Berry Brazelton: Noted peditrician & author
- Sergey Brin: Co-founder of Google
- Julia Child: 1st TV chef & author
- George Clooney: Academy Award-winning actor
- Sean "P.Diddy" Combs: Rapper/muscian & producer
- Eric Cornell PhD: Nobel Prize winner
- John Cusack & Joan Cusack: American actors
- Anthony Doerr: American author of novels and short stories
- Peter Drucker: Founder of modern business/corporation management
- Erik Erikson: Psychologist and psychoanalyst. Coined the phrase "identity crisis"
- Anne Frank: Dutch diarist from World War II
- Katherine Graham: Owner/editor of The Washington Post
- Friedensreich Hundertwasser: Austrian painter & architect
- Helen Hunt: Academy Award-winning actress
- Helen Keller: First deaf & blind person to earn a bachelor of arts degree
- Beyonce Knowles: American singer, songwriter, and actress
- Yo Yo Ma: Famous cellist who performs both as a soloist and with orchestras around the world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Noble Prize winner for literature
- HM Queen Noor of Jordan: Widow of King Hussein of Jordan
- Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: Editor & former first lady
- Larry Page: Co-founder of Google
- Taylor Swift: American singer-songwriter & actress
- Jimmy Wales: Founder of Wikipedia
- Prince William & Prince Harry of the Royal House of Windsor: English royal family
- Will Wright: Designer of The Sims
PNMA (Pacific Northwest Montessori Association)
International Association for Montessori Educators (IAME)
Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE)
Wikipedia entry for Montessori education